Sunday, April 7, 2019

Trip to Quaaout Lodge, April 3-5

Team selfie (Rebecca, Brooke, Jess, Diana, David and Simon)
At the beginning of April, the ILRU team (Indigenous Law Research Unit) headed out to the Quaaout Lodge for a workshop with our partners, the SNTC (Shuswap Nation Tribal Council.

We flew into Kamloops, and it was then a road trip from there to the Quaaout Lodge, which is just past Chase, near Squilax.
I love the furs around the fireplace in the entry

For some time now, Bonnie Wyora has been suggesting to me that we take a visit there.  

I am sold.   

What a wonderful place for us to have a meeting!

So much wood, so much warmth.  

I also loved that they had pictures of pictographs all over the place. I also liked it that they had a legend for the pictographs, so you would know what they meant (a big like hieroglyphs from Egypt... and maybe actually from the same time period, but here where we live).


I assumed the room would have a wonderful view of the Little Shuswap.   

Indeed it did, but is was a gentle foggy morning when I woke up, and it looked like the water just vanished into the clouds.  


It was not clear to me that there were actually hills on the other side of the lake.

But, as the day went on, the clouds slowly started to lift.
The lake begins to mirror the world above

By later in the day, the clouds are higher, and the geese are enjoying the lawn
 Evenings are always beautiful on the lake.  It was lovely watching the sunset on the Little Shuswap rather from our place an Annis Bay.






But even better than the view of the lake?  

The conversations at the workshop.  

It was such a gift to spend time with the people at the workshop.  

We had a bit of time at the end to talk more with Minnie, Patricia and Mardi (Tully Wheel exercise in the back)
I loved the doors!

All the arrowheads made me think of histories

Last view from the Lodge

Flying back home with so much to think about

No comments:

Post a Comment