Monday, April 24, 2017

My TRC action for the summer? Learn some names....

TRC Calls to Action:  
 My Summer Focus on LANGUAGE AND CULTURE.

Call  #14(i) says:
"Aboriginal languages are a fundamental and valued element of Canadian culture and society, and there is an urgency to preserve them."
Why should I wait for the federal government to enact an Aboriginal Languages Act incorporating these principles?

My thought was to figure out how to support this value by starting to learn and use words in the Indigneous language local to where I live.   Here is my goal for this year:  to start learning and using some words in SENĆOŦEN!
 




So.. I bought a great book by Nancy Turner and Richard Hebda, called Saanich Ethnobotany: Culturally Important Plants of the WSANEC People (Royal BC Museum, 2012).

The title is not 'jazzy', but the content is pretty awesome.

I am going to start with THIMBLEBERRIES, also known as  which were one of the great loves of my childhood in Secwepemc Territory.  (and then I am also going to learn how to say it in Secwepemctsín!)

No comments:

Post a Comment