Friday, July 2, 2021

An afternoon by the water with crows

It has been just over two weeks since Arta passed away, and about one week in a house without at least one of my siblings or aunts here.
 
Feeling both a bit lonely, and like it is time to get my body moving again, I decided to head down to Arbutus Cove, a place Arta loved, and that I introduced the sibs to last months [they did a great photoessay of their visit on Arta's blog here].
  
Arbutus Cove is not that far, maybe only an 18 minute walk from my house, but it is downhill all the way.  That, of course, means uphill all the way on the return trip.  

I have no one to blame but myself, but exercise has completely been off the radar for the past 6 months.  During that time, if folks came to visit, I drove them there, and then walked the 65 steps down to the beach with them (and sucking oxygen like crazy on the way back up the stairs).

So, today I "screwed my courage to the sticking place" [nod in the direction of Lady Macbeth], and decided to walk there.  To get me motivated, I decided to take the new camera with me.  Doral picked it out for me, and it has a fancy-pants zoom lens.  I am still learning how to use it, so thought this would be a good excuse to distract me from the 'exercise-pain' ahead. 

So... here is my "photo-essay-while-wishing-excersize-came-naturally-to-me."

I begin with two shots taken of the view approaching the stairs down to the beach.   I do like how this first shot hints at the view ahead, while still holding out some mystery.


Standing in the same spot, the zoom lens pushed through the trees to capture something of the beauty of the water's edge.


Next, I walked past a big patch of Oceanspray to get to the top of the stairs.  


the flip side of the card

A brief meditation on oceanspray is in order.  

A few years ago, I went on a guided walk up PKOLS with Earl Claxton Jr, and Nick Claxton, and learned that in Salish communities, it often goes by another name, Ironwood. On that walk, standing by that shrub, we heard a story about the Wild Woman in the Woods (origin of the mosquito).  I never see the plant anymore without thinking about that story, and how many times I have found myself reflecting on some of its teachings.   I got a set of Pacific Northwest Plant Knowledge Cards last year, and I love all the info it has on the plants [you can find them at Strong Nations if you want your own set]

So, passing the Oceanspray, one arrives at the stairs.  There is something magical in pathway through the forest down to the beach.  You can catch small glimpses of the Cove below, but the predominant feeling for me is of being wrapped in a blanket of green and dappled forest light.

65 stairs is not so bad....on the way down!

And then the stairs end, and the colour palette switches from green to blue.

The tide is out

From there, and easy stroll along the beach to find some Beachwood to perch on, and take in the scene.

The driftwood is bleached from years in the sun

For those who enjoy video [or just a bit of time for meditation], here is a short sweep of the cove from one side to the other (did I mention that groovy new camera pivots easily from photo to video?)

The crows were very busy (and talkative) today at the beach.  So here are three offerings, each a doubling:  that is, first a photo then a video of crows doing what crows do.

1.  Crow walking in the sand

I love the sparkle on the water.... and a crow who knows where she is headed!


2.  Crows walking in the seaweed

What is hiding in this pile of leafy greens?   Bugs? Little crabs?



3.  Crow party in a tree

So many places to perch in the branches of this dead arbutus tree


That was it.  Twenty contemplative minutes on the beach, and then it was 'uphill all the way'.  It is only 65 steps back up, but I was grateful for the bench at the top, which gave me a chance to catch my breath (for the rest of the walk home) while watching the Oceanspray sway in the gentle breeze coming in.  It was sweet (and yes, I can see there is going to be plenty of room for learning how to hold the camera still while filming!) [and yes, the rest of the walk home was torture!  I will try it again tomorrow]



3 comments:

  1. love the picture story - nice work with the camera - I suspect you had it on a tripod for the sweep of the cove. tripod is my friend. hope you have fun learning the camera. Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea! Thanks for thinking I used a tripod! My brother did get one for me, but I didn't take it with me that day. So that was just, "elbows anchored on knees, move slowly, don't breath, and PRETEND I am a tripod!" :-). I am loving the camera (and should put 'read the manual' next on my list of things to do)

      Delete
  2. You know I love those crows. I looove how you did a photo followed by a video in this post. Such a fun set up. You've inspired me to try to put up some posts about my own time at Arbutus Cove. I loved every moment of it. Except the walk home. That was torture. Richard, Miranda and I had walked there, spent almost 2 hours, then had to walk home. None of us had brought water. But still... I would do it again in an instant.

    ReplyDelete